Winter Festivals Columbus Ohio in Cbus known for its vibrant festivals and events year-round. During the winter season, the city comes alive with various festivals celebrating the holiday season and the beauty of winter. These festivals offer a unique and festive experience for visitors, with a mix of fun activities, delicious food, and entertainment. Some popular winter festivals in Columbus, Ohio include:
- The Columbus Winter Fair
- The Holiday Market at the Ohio Expo Center
- The Winterfair at the Ohio State Fairgrounds
- The Columbus Winter Wine Festival at the Franklin Park Conservatory
These festivals take place throughout the winter season, typically starting in November and running through December. The specific dates vary each year, so it is best to check the event websites for exact details. Over 150 things to do this weekend in Columbus Ohio
The main attractions of these festivals include:
- Ice Skating: Many of the festivals offer ice skating as a fun and family-friendly activity. It’s a great way to get into the winter spirit and enjoy the outdoors.
- Holiday Light Displays: Visitors can enjoy enchanting light displays and gorgeous holiday decorations throughout the festival grounds.
- Winter Market: These festivals often feature a winter market, where visitors can shop for unique holiday gifts and support local vendors and artisans.
- Live Music and Entertainment: From carolers to live performances, these festivals offer a variety of entertainment to keep visitors entertained throughout the day.
For families, there are plenty of activities to keep children entertained, including:
- Santa’s Village: Kids can visit and take photos with Santa, who is often present at these festivals.
- Horse-Drawn Carriage Rides: Many festivals offer horse-drawn carriage rides, which are a fun and festive way to tour the festival grounds.
- Children’s Crafts and Games: Kids can participate in holiday-themed crafts and games, keeping them engaged and having fun.
Food and drink options at these festivals include:
- Traditional Holiday Treats: Visitors can indulge in traditional holiday favorites, such as gingerbread cookies and hot apple cider.
- Local Food Trucks: For those looking for a heartier meal, local food trucks offer a variety of delicious options.
- Hot Cocoa and Mulled Wine: Warm up with a cup of hot cocoa or mulled wine, offered at many of these festivals.
Attending these festivals is easy and can be done by following these steps:
- Ticket Purchases: Tickets can often be purchased online or at the entrance of the festival. Prices may vary depending on the festival and the activities included.
- Parking and Transportation: Many festivals offer onsite parking for a fee, but there are also alternative transportation options, such as public transportation and ride-sharing services.
- Accommodations: For those visiting from out of town, there are plenty of hotels and Airbnb options near these festivals for a comfortable stay.
What Are Winter Festivals in Columbus, Ohio?
Winter festivals in Columbus, Ohio offer a diverse range of activities for all ages. The renowned Wildlights at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium is a magical experience featuring millions of LED lights, animated musical light shows, and visits with Santa. The Ohio Chinese Lantern Festival at Ohio Expo Center showcases stunning illuminated displays, live performances, and authentic crafts. The Columbus Winterfair at the Ohio Expo Center is perfect for art enthusiasts, featuring fine art and crafts from over 400 artists.
When Do These Festivals Take Place?
Winter festivals in Columbus, Ohio typically occur from late November to early February. While specific dates may vary, some popular events during this time include:
- The Columbus Winterfair in December.
- Wildlights at the Columbus Zoo from late November to early January.
- The Ohio Chinese Lantern Festival from late November to early January.
What Are the Main Attractions of These Festivals?
As the winter season approaches, Columbus, Ohio comes alive with a variety of festive events and celebrations. From ice skating to holiday light displays, there is something for everyone to enjoy during these winter festivals. In this section, we will take a closer look at the main attractions of these festivals, including ice skating rinks, dazzling light displays, bustling winter markets, and lively live music and entertainment. So bundle up and get ready to experience the magic of these winter festivals in Columbus, Ohio.
1. Ice Skating
- Dress appropriately in warm, layered clothing to stay comfortable while enjoying the popular winter activity of ice skating.
- Find a nearby rink that offers ice skating sessions during the winter festivals in Columbus, Ohio.
- Check the festival schedule for specific ice skating hours and any related events or shows.
- Purchase tickets or passes for the ice skating sessions, if required, in advance to secure your spot.
- Arrive early to allow time for skate rental and to avoid long queues before the session begins.
2. Holiday Light Displays
- Research holiday light display locations and schedules for the festivals in Columbus, Ohio.
- Plan your visit to the specific areas where the Holiday Light Displays are showcased.
- Consider transportation options for a convenient and enjoyable experience.
- Prepare for varying weather conditions by dressing appropriately for outdoor activities.
Shop till you freeze with the diverse vendors at Columbus’ winter wonderland market.
3. Winter Market
- Experience the winter market featuring local artisans and vendors selling unique holiday gifts and crafts.
- Treat yourself to festive treats like hot cocoa, roasted chestnuts, and gingerbread cookies while perusing the market.
- Immerse yourself in the lively atmosphere with seasonal music and entertainment, making for a perfect holiday shopping experience.
My friends and I visited the Winter Market in Columbus, Ohio, and were captivated by the variety of handcrafted items and the enticing aroma of freshly baked goods. We spent hours browsing the stalls, trying out delicious treats, and enjoying the festive performances. It was a delightful way to start off the holiday season.
4. Live Music and Entertainment
Winter festivals in Columbus, Ohio offer a vibrant array of live music and entertainment, enhancing the festive spirit. Visitors can enjoy live performances by local bands, choirs, and dance groups, creating a lively and engaging atmosphere.
To make the most of the festivals, patrons can groove to the beats of diverse music genres, from classic holiday tunes to contemporary melodies, ensuring an enjoyable experience for all attendees.
For an unforgettable wintertime celebration, immerse yourself in the enchanting world of live music and entertainment at Columbus, Ohio’s winter festivals!
What Are the Family-Friendly Activities at These Festivals?
Winter festivals in Columbus, Ohio are a beloved tradition for families to enjoy. While there are many activities for all ages, let’s focus on the family-friendly ones. From Santa’s Village to horse-drawn carriage rides and children’s crafts and games, these festivals have something for everyone. Let’s take a closer look at these exciting activities and how they add to the festive atmosphere of these winter festivals.
1. Santa’s Village
- Check the festival schedule to confirm the operating hours and location of Santa’s Village.
- Purchase tickets for any specific activities or attractions within Santa’s Village.
- Arrive early to avoid long lines and secure a spot for popular activities like photos with Santa.
- Engage in the various festive activities offered, such as holiday crafts, storytelling, and meeting Santa and his helpers.
- Indulge in the seasonal treats and beverages available within Santa’s Village.
As a true story, last winter, my family and I visited a winter festival in Columbus that featured Santa’s Village. The kids had a blast meeting Santa, making crafts, and enjoying the magical holiday atmosphere.
2. Horse-Drawn Carriage Rides
- Check festival schedules for specific timings of the popular Horse-Drawn Carriage Rides.
- Arrive early to avoid long queues and ensure a spot on the ride.
- Be prepared for potential wait times during peak hours.
- Consider purchasing tickets in advance to secure a spot on the highly sought-after Horse-Drawn Carriage Rides.
- Dress warmly to fully enjoy the magical experience of the charming carriage ride.
Get your kids’ creative juices flowing at these winter festivals with fun crafts and games, because nothing says holiday cheer like glitter-covered snowmen and competitive gingerbread house decorating.
3. Children’s Crafts and Games
- Get children engaged in creative crafts like making ornaments, crafting snow globes, and coloring winter-themed activities.
- Plan interactive games such as snowball toss, pin the nose on the snowman, and a winter scavenger hunt.
These activities are not only fun, but also encourage creativity and offer a chance for kids to socialize and develop new skills.
Get your taste buds in the holiday spirit with traditional treats, food trucks, and craft beer at these Columbus winter festivals.
What Are the Food and Drink Options at These Festivals?
As the winter season approaches, Columbus, Ohio becomes a hub of festive celebrations and events. Along with the lively atmosphere and activities, these festivals also offer a variety of delicious food and drink options. From traditional holiday treats to local food trucks and craft beer, there is something to satisfy every palate. Let’s take a closer look at the food and drink offerings at these winter festivals in Columbus, Ohio.
1. Traditional Holiday Treats
- Indulge in classic holiday treats like gingerbread cookies, fruitcake, and hot cocoa.
- Explore regional specialties such as buckeyes, a confection made of peanut butter and chocolate.
- Try traditional eggnog or mulled wine to savor the festive flavors of the season.
Embrace the warmth and joy of the holidays with heartwarming treats that evoke nostalgia and create cherished memories.
2. Local Food Trucks
- Discover the schedule and location of the local food trucks at the festival.
- Indulge in the diverse culinary offerings, ranging from gourmet burgers to fusion tacos.
- Engage with the chefs of the food trucks to learn about their unique creations.
Pro-tip: Arrive early to beat the crowds and have the first pick of the delectable dishes from the local food trucks!
Sip your way through the cold season with local craft beer at these festivals – it’s like a liquid sweater for your soul.
3. Craft Beer
Winter festivals in Columbus, Ohio offer a delightful array of craft beer options. Visitors can enjoy a variety of locally brewed craft beers, including seasonal specialties and traditional favorites, adding a unique touch to the festive experience. Pro-tip: Don’t miss the opportunity to sample limited-edition craft beers exclusive to the winter festivals, providing a one-of-a-kind taste of the local craft beer scene.
Don’t be a grinch and figure out how to get your butt to these festively fun events in Columbus, Ohio. This magical fun is the reason many are moving to Columbus Ohio tips for relocation.
How Can Someone Attend These Festivals?
If you are planning to attend one of the exciting winter festivals in Columbus, Ohio, it’s important to know the logistics of how to actually attend these events. In this section, we will cover the essential information on how to attend these festivals, including purchasing tickets, finding parking and transportation options, and securing accommodations for your stay. With these details, you can make the most out of your festival experience and fully immerse yourself in the winter festivities in Columbus.
1. Ticket Purchases
- Visit the official event website to purchase tickets online.
- Check for any available early bird discounts or family packages.
- Consider buying tickets in advance to avoid long lines and potential sell-outs.
2. Parking and Transportation
- Plan your transportation: Make a decision on whether to use public transport, carpooling, or ridesharing to minimize any potential parking issues.
- Check parking options: Research nearby parking facilities and their fees to make an informed choice on where to park.
- Utilize shuttle services: Some festivals provide shuttle services from designated pick-up points for convenience and ease of transportation.
- When attending a festival, it’s important to check for nearby accommodations, such as hotels or vacation rentals, to stay close to the festival grounds.
- To ensure the best rates and availability during these popular events, be sure to book your stay in advance.
- For convenience, consider lodging options that offer shuttle services to the festival to help with transportation.
For a stress-free festival experience, make sure to plan your accommodation early and search for options with easy access to the event venues.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is WinterFest Columbus?
WinterFest Columbus is an annual winter celebration in downtown Columbus, featuring local seasonal craft beer and cocktails, live music, food trucks, and outdoor winter activities. It is presented by the Columbus Recreation and Parks Department and is free and open to all.
When and where will WinterFest Columbus take place?
WinterFest Columbus will take place on Saturday, December 2, 2023 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Dorrian Green, located at 50 S. Belle St., Columbus, OH 43215. This will be the first year the festival is held at Dorrian Green, after previously being held at Bicentennial Park.
What can attendees expect at WinterFest Columbus?
Attendees can expect a family-friendly event with free activities for all ages, including a mechanical reindeer, giant snowglobe photo opportunity, cornhole, and access to the playground at Dorrian Green. Five local breweries will also be offering a Seasonal Craft Beer Sampling Experience. Additionally, there will be a lineup of performances and 10% of all food sales will benefit the Mid-Ohio Food Collective.
Is WinterFest Columbus the only winter event in Columbus, Ohio?
No, there are several other upcoming winter events in Columbus, Ohio. Some examples include the Christmas Party – Winter Woolies Winter PJ Party, Winter Solstice Yoga and Goddess Meditation, and the Young Ag Professionals Winter Leadership Experience. See our Frequently Asked Questions section for more information on these events.
How can vendors apply for the Columbus Winter Carnival?
Vendors can register for the 4th Annual Columbus Winter Carnival on February 3 at 11:00 AM at the Franklin County Fairgrounds, located at 4230 The Strand, Columbus, OH 43219. Registration will also be held on the same day and time at the same location. The carnival itself will take place from 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM at the Franklin County Fairgrounds.
What are some other winter activities or events in Central Ohio?
Other winter activities and events in Central Ohio include the Buckeye Lake Winterfest, Hocking Hills Winter Hike, Logan Frozen Festival, Mohican Winter Fest, Columbus Winter Beerfest, Columbus Chocolate Wine & Whiskey Festival, and the Geode Nature Dome. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions section for more details on these events.